Mt. Kailash(6,714m) high peak is situated to the north of the Himalaya in Tibet. It is the most sacred mountain in Asia. It is believed to be the physical embodiment of the mythical Mt Meru, said to be the center of the universe or navel of the world. Mt Meru is depicted as a mandala and its image occurs throughout both Buddhist and Hindu parts of Asia.It is the perfect mountain with splendid beauty with 4 great faces. It is the spiritual center for four great religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, the Jain religion and the pre-Buddhist animistic religion - To Hindus, Kailash is the abode of Shiva and nearby Mansarovar Lake which is the means or soul of Brahma. Tibetans call Kailas Kang Rimpoche. Jains worship it as Mt Ashtapada, the peak from which the religion& founder, Rishabanatha, achieved spiritual liberation. Followers of Bon-Po, the ancient pre- Buddhist shamanistic religion of Tibet, revere Kailas as the soul of Tibet.Another geographical factor that contributes to the mystical aspect of Kailas is that nearby are the headwaters of four major rivers of the Indian subcontinent, the Sutlej, Karnili (a major tributary of the Ganges), Brahmaputra and Indus. The mouths of these rivers ate more than 2,000 km apart, yet they all have their source within 100 km on Mt Kailash.
Kailash is surrounded by two great lakes Manasarovar, borne out the minds (Manas) of Bramha. It is the highest fresh water lake in the world. Sacred Lake Manasarovar is round like Sun signifying solar force and inner consciousness (Prajnam) leading to higher Atomic awareness. The water of the Manas is pure and Turquoise blue. It is always calm. A bath in the holy waters of Manas is said to wash away the sins of many Janmas (lives) leading to spiritual path ultimately leading to Eternity. The second lake Rakshas; Rakas or Ravan Tal, is crescent Moon shaped signifying lunar force and influences the lower desires i.e. demonic impulse. The waters of Rawan Lake are brownish and it is often rough. Pilgrims normally avoid taking bath in this water.
Itinerary for Holy Kailash and Mansarovar Tour - 17 Days
- Day 01:Arrival at Kathmandu and transfer to hotel.
- Day 02: After breakfast in kathmandu, Take the morning flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa. On arrival, transfer to the Hotel. Take a good rest to acclimatize yourself to the high altitude. Overnight at Hotel.
- Day 03: After breakfast, sightseeing of Lhasa that includes Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhore Street.
- Day 04: After breakfast, drive to Shigatse (6 - 8 hrs). Lunch en route. Arrive at Shigatse. Dinner and over night stay in the Hotel.
- Day 05: After breakfast, leave for Latse ( 6 - 7 hrs). Lunch en route. Arrive at Latse. Dinner and overnight at the Guest House.
- Day 06: After breakfast, leave for Saga that is little away and takes 8 - 9 hrs. Lunch on route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 07: After breakfast, proceed for Parayang (6 - 7 hrs). Lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 08: After breakfast, drive to Mansarovar ( 7 - 8 Hrs). Lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 09: Full day on Holy banks of Mansarovar. Yatris will perform Mansarovar Parikrama by Jeeps. Dinner and overnight stay at Guest House.
- Day 10: After early breakfast, depart to Tarboche (starting point for Kailash Parikrama). Trek to Driraphuk (7 - 8 hrs). Packed Lunch. Dinner and overnight camping.
- Day 11: After breakfast, start trekking to Zutulphuk via Dolma Pass (highest point of entire journey, ). The distance is 18 km with approximate time taken 9 - 10 hrs. Packed Lunch.
- Day 12: After breakfast, trek further for (4 - 5 hrs) to arrive at the ending point of Parikrama where jeeps shall be waiting to drive the pilgrims back to Mansarovar. Packed lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 13: After breakfast, drive to Parayang ( 7 - 8 Hrs). Lunch en route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 14: After breakfast, proceed for Saga (6 - 7 hrs). Lunch on route. Dinner and overnight at Guest House.
- Day 15: After breakfast leave for Nyalam ( / 8 - 9 hrs). Lunch on route. Dinner and overnight at Hotel / Guest House.
- Day 16: After breakfast at around 5:00 hrs., start driving to Zhangmu (26 km. / 1½ hrs.). After completing immigration formalities, cross Friendship Bridge on foot. Drive back to Kathmandu. Packed lunch on route. Arrive Kathmandu in evening.Overnight in hotel.
- Day 17:Final Departure.